The relationship between WhatsApp and the couple can sometimes give rise to problems and misunderstandings, often related to read confirmations, the famous double blue ticks.
A message like 'Good morning, I miss you' or 'How's your day?' they are simple gestures that accompany many romantic relationships. As for the role of WhatsApp in the couple, the addiction to the double blue check can sometimes lead to extreme situations . Dynamics of absolute control, arguments based on misunderstandings that can even cause the break.
A recent study on human behavior published in the journal Computer revealed an aspect that shows the extent to which relationships are changing. A research was conducted on part of the American population between 18 and 45 years, analyzing the importance of messaging services in their daily life. And, particularly in their relationship with the couple. The result couldn't be stronger: the role of WhatsApp in the couple it appeared fundamental and even is an excellent barometer of the quality of the relationship.
Text messages are an indispensable form of communication for most people . This channel is used in the family, at work, with friends and, of course, with your partner. The immediacy of the response and the proximity offered reinforce the relations which are (especially) in the initial phase, during falling in love. However, the matter seems to get complicated in the following period, when the bond has now reached a stage of consolidation.
Using WhatsApp can enrich or completely destroy relationships. According to experts, the use of cell phones also reflects the way emotional ties are managed
The role of WhatsApp in the couple
Text messages are delicately intimate, yet distant at the same time. They strengthen the relationship, give an affectionate impulse in those moments of the day when you need it most and also enrich the bond with the person you love. It is impossible to deny its magic, diminish its charm or criticize its usefulness.
However, and here comes the inevitable 'but', couple therapists notice more and more that the use of WhatsApp in couples is often a double-edged sword .
Many difficulty , disagreements and problems are the direct result of that hyper-connectivity in which one is now immersed. Digital channels have a curious characteristic: whether we believe it or not, they are a mirror in which our authentic personality is reflected. There, our fears and obsessions are channeled, there our ability to respect or not and also our emotional maturity.
To understand it better, just reflect on all the ways that WhatsApp affects our relationships .
Ways in which WhatsApp intervenes in relationships
- Constant contact . We can start a relationship by sending messages every half hour. Most likely, at some point it will be impossible to maintain this flow of communication. When this 'slowdown' occurs, the partner may begin to suspect, suffer and begin to wonder if everything is okay.
- Test your endurance . That symbiosis between WhatsApp and the couple is constantly put to the test with the famous 'double blue check'. Don't answer a message that appears as 'bed' causes some discomfort. Sending one at 6:00 pm and seeing the last access at 6:15 pm without your message being read generates frustration and anger in many people.
- Who are you online with? Knowing that your partner is online with someone who is not you can trigger situations that are as bizarre as they are confrontational. Some people stop being productive in their work because they end up feeling the need to continuously monitor their partner's activity.
- Ineffective communication . Strange as it may seem, this mechanism leads to constant misunderstandings, something that doesn't happen so often when speaking in the first person, face to face. WhatsApp does not facilitate non-verbal and emotional communication in the couple relationship at all.
- Passive-aggressive behaviors . Many studies reveal that the use of WhatsApp allows you to show passive-aggressive behaviors with which one tries to manipulate the other, using an avalanche of messages or exploiting the silences of disconnection. This tool can cause painful situations and, often, infantile .
Carrying love in your pocket
Having a cell phone or computer doesn't necessarily mean making good use of it all the time . Especially when you communicate using a channel that you are not always able to control: the emotional one. Carrying your partner in your pocket is 21st century love. Portable, but not always used in the right way.
The fault, therefore, is not in the new technologies or the steady progress of this industry, but of people not moving in tune with these fabulous resources which, after all, are meant to make our lives easier.
Nowadays, WhatsApp's role in the couple once again demonstrates our insecurities, our most immaterial and dark voids , those that lead us to distrust our partner and make jealousy a weapon of mass destruction, which hurts through messages, audio and emoticons.
Avoid these situations. Make new technologies enrichment tools for relationships by changing the use you make of them. Work on yours emotions , your trust in your partner and understanding that authentic communication, the most satisfying one, happens through the eyes. And not through a double blue check.